Wednesday, 12 July 2017

Decluttering works

One full day to declutter

Related image
Image via: patrickgamble.co.uk 


So it came to a point that I was just over our house. Every room felt cluttered and I just didn't feel good about being at home. I even googled, help I need to declutter my home. I read blogs about how not to do one big clean but I just couldn't spend twenty minutes decluttering each day for our home to be a home. I needed it done today. I hate decluttering and I hate wasting time on it, so for one day I was going to be ruthless.  I like space and I need space to breathe, so I woke up one morning, put on my joggers and decided today I was going to clean out the house for good.


This is how I decluttered my home in a day


I got out the rubbish bags and started with the floor. I told the kids to pick up all their toys and put them in the boxes in the corner. I picked up all the rubbish and recycling from all the floors.

I started with the kitchen. It's amazing how many random things I collect on my kitchen bench, I don't even know what some of them are. So I chucked them. Now forgotten and more space.

I then went to the dinning room and got rid of everything on the floor. Lego and puzzle pieces. Some recycling and even pool table balls.

Then I went to the entry way.

I got rid of everything on the floor and swept up afterwards. The kids helped move all the shoes to the shoe cupboard, out of sight!

I tied up our glass table to only have things we want to show people, rather than the every day mail and junk we don't need here, even spoons!

I then moved to a deserted room. My husband moved his study out from there to a different room a few weeks ago but left his broken table and a cabinet. I have been thinking for a while now, how I want our books showcased and set them up one by one on top of the cabinet.

Then I took a photo of the now cleaned broken table and placed it on Gumtree for free. Within an hour, somebody wanted it and collected it, thank you. A great way to recycle.

I swept the floor and moved onto the next room. My children helped remove the furniture they used to create a fortress and I removed the collection of stuff we left on our table over the course of the week.

I then boxed up some toys that we can pull out when they are bored, as they didn't play with them anyway and I chucked away any toy that was broken or missing in its collection.

My husband tackled his garage and we all felt like this could be it. We could actually be getting our house sorted.

Afterwards, I couldn't believe it. I was walking through our home and it looked great! No longer would we have to hide our home from our friends.

And the cleaning is so much easier with out the junk.


Result of a day to declutter

A week later our home is still spacious. I was dubious that the next day our home would be a mess but a quick five minute tidy up was all it needed to stay clutter free!!

We are all appreciating the extra space, especially the one room with no furniture at all. There is nothing in it and for now I love it. I can easily add in a lounge suite but I don't want to. Its extra play space for the kids to ride their indoor bikes around or for me to dance in. It just extra space for when we want to use it and we can!

Have you tackled your clutter. What are your tips and mostly importantly, how did you feel afterwards?


No comments:

Post a Comment